Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Under Prepared....


Last Saturday morning Nicky dropped me off in Paddington at 6:20am so I could find my way to the start of the Grand Union Challenge

3 months ago when I signed up it seemed like a good idea but when I arrived I felt I was severely under prepared. The guy I tried to casually chat to as we were attaching our race numbers, informed me that he had done 3 marathons in 3 days to get ready for this epic adventure. He shook his head bemused when I told him that I had done 2 park runs in January! I realised everyone else seemed to have a bag, wet weather gear, vaseline..... I had 4 bottles attached to my belt and 2 mar bars in my pocket!

Doubts rose up.... why was I at the start line rather than with my wife - who had tickets for Centre Court at Wimbledon?!

I was beginning to wish that I had spent longer getting ready
I realised I should have done other races to get me fit
I should have brought more expensive gear!

419 people were attempting to cover the 100km that day..... I think 418 may have been better prepared than me!

What have you attempted that you felt under prepared for?

2 comments:

  1. So how did you do? Can't believe anyone wants to attempt 100km!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cant believe you neglected to say you were the first runner home by over 45 minutes. Well done fella - an outstanding result.

    I am now considering following your example and be under prepared for all my future fitness challenges!!!

    ReplyDelete